Saturday, February 9, 2013

Diet Challenge - Paleo Diet Trial

I am not a big fan of popular diet fads. It seems like they come and they go. A lot of people try them - some with great success and some with little success. I have always been a proponent of eating healthy - having enough protein, plenty of fruits and veggies and limited grains. I always feel good when I eat this way.

But, lately life has been busy and I have found myself eating a lot more grains than usual. I haven't eaten enough protein and I have been able to feel my blood sugar dipping throughout the day. Some of the symptoms of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) are: headaches, fatigue, dizziness, shakiness, weakness, hunger, nausea, inability to focus or concentrate. So, when I began experiencing some of these symptoms, I decided to try a popular diet fad... the Paleo diet.

Yup, I said it - I'm trying a diet fad. Not to lose weight, but to feel better in my body. Over the next two weeks I am going to do the Paleo Diet Challenge here on my blog. I'll report what I'm eating and how I'm feeling.

A little more about the Paleo diet (taken from www.thepaleodiet.com)

The Paleo Dietis based upon eating wholesome, contemporary foods from the food groups our hunter-gatherer ancestors would have thrived on during the Paleolithic era, the time period from about 2.6 million years ago to the beginning of the agricultural revolution, about 10,000 years ago. These foods include fresh meats (preferably grass-produced or free-ranging beef, pork, lamb, poultry, and game meat, if you can get it), fish, seafood, fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, and healthful oils (olive, coconut, avocado, macadamia, walnut and flaxseed). Dairy products, cereal grains, legumes, refined sugars and processed foods were not part of our ancestral menu.



  • What to eat:
  • Grass-produced meats
  • Fish/seafood
  • Fresh fruits and veggies
  • Eggs
  • Nuts and seeds
  • Healthful oils (Olive, walnut, flaxseed, macadamia, avocado, coconut)

  • What to avoid:
  • Cereal grains
  • Legumes (including peanuts)
  • Dairy
  • Refined sugar
  • Potatoes
  • Processed foods
  • Salt
  • Refined vegetable oils 



I don't think this diet will be so difficult for me. I usually eat MOSTLY this way ... until lately, anyway. The only thing that will be different from what we eat at home is cutting out grains entirely. I still love spelt bread. And potatoes too.

Over the next two weeks check out my diet diaries and updates on the Paleo diet.

Until next time. :-)
_________________________________________________________________________________

Svea Lynn is a traditional Naturopath, classical homeopath and holistic doula. Her private doula practice can be found here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment